This is instalment number two of healthy snacks, and probably one of my favourites. I really dislike most of these date energy ball recipes, so I was really keen to make one I actually want to eat. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is that I don’t like so I just threw a load of nuts and things that I love into a food processor and hoped for the best. Surprisingly, it actually turned out quite well if not a little squishy… Pistachios are probably my favourite nuts which is why I find these so yummy, and you can never go wrong with chocolate (even if it isn’t technically real chocolate). I was super impressed with myself when I first tasted, not to be cocky but they are really really good.
Pistachio Energy Bites
Ingredients- Makes 10
- 4 Medjool dates pitted and soaked for an hour or two
- 60g pecans
- 50g pistachios
- 20g toasted coconut flakes (or desiccated coconut if you can find these)
- 1tbsp maple syrup (this can be done to taste)
- 25g coconut oil
- 25g cocoa powder
- Agave nectar to taste
- Put the nuts and coconut into a food processor and blend until fine, its up to you how smooth/chunky you want the nuts to be but you’ll definitely need some of a floury texture to soak up the dates.
- Add the soaked dates (be careful not to transfer over any extra water because this mix is quite wet) and maple syrup and blend until the mix comes together and has not large date chunks.
- Roll tablespoon portions of the mix into balls, I sprayed my hands with coconut oil before doing this because my mixture was very sticky. Chill the balls until firm, preferably overnight.
- To make the chocolate coating, melt the coconut oil and sift in the cocoa powder. Stir together and add agave to reach your desired sweetness.
- You can dip the balls entirely in the chocolate coating or just drizzle it over, I did both.
- Chill the set the coating and then they’re ready to enjoy!
These are super super yummy, especially with the ‘chocolate’ coating. It makes them taste like they should be bad for you, but they aren’t! I find them really filling which is good because I won’t be tempted to snack on all the unhealthy things still lying around from Christmas.